I was plagued with multiple incoming IP block messages. After reading some of the suggested solutions, which included downloading software packages, I decided upon a different approach. (I am using Symantec End Point as an antivirus unmanaged.) I went to the Malware protection log and did an IP trace of the IP addresses…there were multiple entries for the same IPs. I then did a Whois for the area (Russia, Ukrane, Netherlands and Spain) and got the IP block associated with the IPs and the slash. Since I do not do business with any of these countries, I went into my edn Point firewall and
I was plagued with multiple blocked incoming ip messages. After reading some of the suggested solutions which entailed multiple software downloads, I took a different approach.