I was at work today and someone had clicked on a download button that is obviously a malware download. After doing some searching on google, I found that many people have this problem with pum.hijack.startmenu....I took some advice and ended up doing the following: 1. Went into safe mode as admin 2. Ran a program called RKill. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html 3. Tried to do a system restore. The system restore refused to execute, mainly because pum.hijack.startmenu hides a lot of important windows files. 4. Ran a program called Unhide. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html 5. Tried to do a system restore. This time it worked. 6. Jumped up and down 7. Logged into windows and turned off system restore, then restarted computer. 8. Logged into windows and turned on system restore. Created a Restore point This worked for me, hopefully it might work for you.