BSOD MBAM 2.0.2.1012 + TrueCrypt system encryption

I got the same or possible similar issue as in this other topic but I was advised to create a new thread for it. Here it is:

I just purchased and installed malwarebytes premium v2.0.2.1012 but it gave me a BSOD shortly after starting the first scan. I use Windows 7 pro x64 with TrueCrypt 7.1, MS Security Essentials 4.5.216.0, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall 9.3.037.000. See the supplied screenshot for the BSOD. I use truecrypt system drive encryption.

MBAM 1.75.0.1300 works fine.

BSOD_Malwarebytes.JPG

I already submitted a support ticket which is still waiting for a solution. But because I saw similar issues here at the forum I wanted to share it here as well.

Hi,

>>Just curious: do you have anti-rootkit scanning enabled in the Settings > Detection and Protection, and/or in your scheduled scan settings?

AFAIK the only known issue with encrypted drives is the lack of support for anti-rootkit (ARK) scanning on drives encrypted with any program OTHER THAN TrueCrypt, as mentioned in the FAQ here.

IOW, regular scans should be fine even on encrypted drives, and ARK scans should be fine on drives encrypted with TrueCrypt (but not other programs, such as BitLocker, etc).
So, AFAIK, there should not be a problem with MBAM 2.0 and TrueCrypt.

BSOD can be caused by driver issues, hardware problems or even some types of infection (rootkits).

As such, the dev team will definitely need some system info from you to begin to sort this out.

For starters, please read the following and post back the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs

I'm sure they will need to ask you to run some other tools, as well, but this is a good place to start.

Please post back with those logs when you are ready.

Thanks,

Hi,

Just curious: do you have anti-rootkit scanning enabled in the Settings Detection and Protection, and/or in your scheduled scan settings?

AFAIK the only known issue with encrypted drives is the lack of support for anti-rootkit (ARK) scanning on drives encrypted with any program OTHER THAN TrueCrypt, as mentioned in the FAQ here.

IOW, regular scans should be fine even on encrypted drives, and ARK scans should be fine on drives encrypted with TrueCrypt (but not other programs, such as BitLocker, etc).

So, AFAIK, there should not be a problem with MBAM 2.0 and TrueCrypt.

BSOD can be caused by driver issues, hardware problems or even some types of infection (rootkits).

As such, the dev team will definitely need some system info from you to begin to sort this out.

For starters, please read the following and post back the requested logs - Diagnostic Logs

I'm sure they will need to ask you to run some other tools, as well, but this is a good place to start.

Please post back with those logs when you are ready.

Thanks,

After my post I uninstalled MBAM 2.0 because it was not stable. For now I work with 1.75 which has no issues at all on my config. I ran 2.0 with the default settings. If anti-rootkit is a default option I had it on when it BSOD-ed.

I made the requested diagnostic logs which can be found here.

Hi:

Thanks for the followup.

A couple of things:

Unfortunately, if you have reverted back to 1.75, then the staff will not be able to assist you with your 2.0 problems.

No, anti-rootkit (ARK) is NOT enabled by default, and it should be fine, even with TrueCrypt (according to the information we have at this time from the dev team).

Added features and stronger protection in version 2.0 aside, support for 1.75 will end eventually.

When it does, users still running 1.75 will not have a program to fall back on.

So, it would be advantageous if you would permit the staff to work with you to resolve your BSOD issues.

Unfortunately, we cannot use logs hosted at an external, 3rd-party site.

Please attach them here to your next reply when you're ready, so that the staff can review them.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

Hi:

Thanks for the followup.

A couple of things:

Unfortunately, if you have reverted back to 1.75, then the staff will not be able to assist you with your 2.0 problems.

No, anti-rootkit (ARK) is NOT enabled by default, and it should be fine, even with TrueCrypt (according to the information we have at this time from the dev team).

Added features and stronger protection in version 2.0 aside, support for 1.75 will end eventually.

When it does, users still running 1.75 will not have a program to fall back on.

So, it would be advantageous if you would permit the staff to work with you to resolve your BSOD issues.

Unfortunately, we cannot use logs hosted at an external, 3rd-party site.

Please attach them here to your next reply when you're ready, so that the staff can review them.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

Well, my website is not 3rd party as it is my web server. (Which makes it second party from your point of view) But if the staff cannot DL it from my server I uploaded the logs to here.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Both of your logs show MBAM 1.75 so there are no details to help us with 2.0 issues and rootkit scanning. We simply did not have a dedicated rootkit scanner in 1.75

That said though the logs do show that you're pirating software and as such we cannot provide further assistance unless you wish to fully remove the software and all cracks, hacks involved.

This topic will now be closed due to software piracy.