MBAM 2 Premium not all enabled

Hello mygoose:

These are personal choices to be made by individual users.

Some users have reported slower scan times when all the new features are enabled.

However, paying with longer scan times is the cost of increased diligence.

HTH :)

Thanks for your reply.

I don't understand the effect of the choices so shall I enable them or not?

Thanks for help.

mygoose

Nobody but you can assess your computer's threat profile, hardware resources, and your wishes.

Try them and then re-assess your system's performance outcome.

Lightly loaded, newer, and very capable hardware will likely exhibit little if any apparent performance impact.

HTH :)

Hi, mygoose:

In addition to the information provided by 1PW and until the staff can provide official feedback...

Anti-Rootkit (ARK) scans for a particularly nasty type of malware infection, rootkits.

They can be hard to detect and hard to remove.

If it is enabled, the ARK feature may cause longer scan times, especially on older, less robust hardware.

And it may not work on certain other systems, such as those with encrypted hard drives (that is why it is not enabled by default in v.2.00).

As 1PW suggested, you can enable it and see if it impacts your system (e.g. scan times) unfavorably.

Even if it is disabled, a normal Threat scan will look in the usual places rootkits might hide, and it will notify you if one is detected -- you can then take further action.

Chameleon is a special tool that allows MBAM to run on a severely infected system.

Here and here and here are some links about it (the information hasn't all been updated yet for v.2.00, but the concept is the same).

Certain of its components are also loaded if one enables MBAM Self-Protection (SP), a new feature in v.2.00.

This can help prevent malware from blocking or interfering with MBAM.

Again, because enabling this feature can cause some unexpected changes (such as being unable to delete the MBAM desktop shortcut icon), it is disabled by default.

AFAIK It is not necessary to enable it under most normal conditions.

So, as 1PW mentioned, neither of these is essential for normal use (that is why they are not enabled by default during installation/upgrade).

You may wish to try either or both of these components and see how your system performs.

If you run into any problems, you can always post back and someone will be happy to help you.

Cheers,

daledoc1

If you run

Hello mygoose:

Here is a >>link<< to a Wikipedia description of a rootkits.

If you set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to check for rootkits, additional time will be added to malware scans.

Here is a >>link<< to the Malwarebytes Helpdesk topic on Chameleon.

When a user's system is too infected to start or run the usual anti-malware scans, Chameleon will likely succeed when other steps may fail.

Has this given you greater insight?

Thanks.

I  actually did that and I  enabled Rootkits but the next time I looked at the summary they were both disabled again.

mygoose

Are you logged in as an administrator? If not, that could be the reason as limited users cannot turn on those components because they require the loading of drivers (something limited users cannot do).

Thank you.

I am having this conversation about Administrator on another thread.

I have had the PC for 10 years and this has never come up before (running XP) 

It is a private PC, I am the only user and it says that I am the Administrator

mygoose.

Thank you.

I am having this conversation about Administrator on another thread.

I have had the PC for 10 years and this has never come up before (running XP) 

It is a private PC, I am the only user and it says that I am the Administrator

mygoose.

Ah, I see. Are you getting any error messages at all when you attempt to run a scan when 'scan for rootkits' is enabled?

Thanks

I attach pics showing that Self protection and Rootkits are both enabled.

I am not getting any error messages.

It is just that every now and then a full summary comes up showing what is enabled and disabled  (and I can't find it at the moment) and it shows Rootkits and Chameleon being disabled - very strange.

post-18734-0-86478400-1396651168_thumb.j

post-18734-0-51574900-1396651202_thumb.j

It would be in your scan logs. What happens if you launch a Threat Scan now? Do they both show up as disabled when you view the scan details once the scan has completed? Do any error messages show up?

Also, if you have configured any scheduled scans their settings may be different from your Detection and Protection settings. For example, the daily Threat Scan which is scheduled by default in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium does not have 'scan for rootkits' enabled by default, however you may edit that scheduled scan to enable that feature if you'd like. Simply access the 'Automated Scheduling' sub-tab under Settings and double-click on the 'Threat Scan' item to edit it, then click 'Advanced' and check the box next to 'Scan for rootkits' then click 'OK'.

Thanks. I ran a Threat Scan and the scan log showed all enabled (pic attached) and I enabled rootkits in the scheduler you mentioned.

The "Administrator" problem I mentioned on the other thread was that I am unable to install MBSB trial.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145745#entry813523

and as you mentioned the Administrator I wonder if you know the reason why?

Very many thanks for great help.

post-18734-0-99420100-1396653737_thumb.j

The Malwarebytes Secure Backup issue may actually be related to Chameleon self-protection. Try disabling that temporarily, rebooting your system, then try installing it again to see if it works. If it does, then try enabling self-protection again and everything should be functional after that.

The Malwarebytes Secure Backup issue may actually be related to Chameleon self-protection. Try disabling that temporarily, rebooting your system, then try installing it again to see if it works. If it does, then try enabling self-protection again and everything should be functional after that.

Thank you and yes it was. I disabled Chameleon self-protection as you suggested and MBSB free trial installed just fine.  But, it said it could not back up My Documents as they are 70 Gb and I have only a 5Gb account.

Thanks again

mygoose

I am assuming the trial edition only has perhaps 5GB of storage with it.  To try it out you have to only select a few files/folders with less data to perform your backup.

Once again I am assuming that, as I have never tested the free trial, I have a full version myself.