Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Retail copy - Purchase query

Hello friends,

This is my first topic in this forum. (I have posted this query in other topic as well, but realized that it would be better to put it as a new topic since that topic is a bit old. Sorry for reposting.)

Okay, I am looking to buy Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate 64-bit Retail version because I want to install and activate it on my current PC as well as on the new PC that I will be buying this year. No OEM or upgrade, just the full retail version.

However, I am not able to understand this sentence: "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC."

Could anyone please tell me what is the exact meaning of this, and the limitations it may have? Or will it meet my requirement mentioned above?

I came across the following seller on ebay who is selling full version of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

http://www.ebay.com/...W-/390773513449

The above seller looks decent to me, both from price and autheticity point of view, so I was thinking if I could go ahead with the purchase. But just  because I don't understand the meaning of the above line I am waiting. I have dropped the queries to the seller too though and waiting for his reply. But since this topic has a mention of this sentence, I thought to check if anyone could please guide me on this.

Any advice would be very appreciable. Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks

post-158172-0-52131900-1394376641_thumb.

Rather than taking a chance on the validity of software sold on eBay, why not look at a true online retailer for your software?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4622 is an example....

I agree with John and I just got a similar prices at Newegg and CDW as what is offered at TigerDirect.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have already looked at these websites but could not find what I am looking for - the full Retail version.

Also, I am not able to access tigerdirect.com. I am based in India and probably that website seems to be blocked for viewing in India.

Any other suggestions on how to buy the Retail copy? I know it is going to be difficult since it is not officially sold by Microsoft now but I am still hopeful to get it at a reasonably good price.

Newegg Win7/64 Professional

Newegg Win7/32 Professional

CDW Win7/64 Professional

CDW Win7/32 Professional

$130.00 ~ $150.00 is a reasonable, market price.  Hell I paid $250.00 ~ $300.00 for previous Retail OS' years ago.

With the above you can install the OS on ANY PC you want.

You are right about Microsoft.  They officially stopped selling Win7 on Oct 31, 2013.

@ David

Thanks for taking your time out in searching and sharing the links, but as I said, they are the OEM versions and not the retail ones. That is why there are so cheap.

The one you got at that price is worth it since you can install it on current as well as new PCs you buy/build. That is it is not tied to one PC on which you have installed and activated it. If you buy a new PC/motherboard, you can still use that retail DVD and product key to install and activate windows.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/oem-vs-full-version/00ce93fe-5eb1-482f-8ac2-36643187e328

Like I wrote earlier - "With the above you can install the OS on ANY PC you want"

So why can't you use them ?

I can use them, but only on one PC. The product key will be tied to that particular PC once installed because it is OEM. Now, whenever I buy a new PC (motherboard), I won't be to install and activate Windows on this new PC using the same DVD and key. That's is why I don't want to buy OEM. I want to have flexibility of installation and activating Windows on many PCs I build in future (installing on only one system at a time, of course).

This is what I came to know after a good two day research on internet.

@ John

It does not seem to be OEM because OEM DVD cover looks like this, and mentions: "Licensed/intended for distribution only with a new PC" which is different from the one in the link I have posted. I searched a lot for getting the retail version but I am not able to find one.

@ John

It does not seem to be OEM because OEM DVD cover looks like the ones attached, and mentions: "Licensed/intended for distribution only with a new PC" which is different from the one in the link I have posted. I searched a lot for getting the retail version but I am not able to find one and that's why trying to understand all this before buying anything.

post-158172-0-32208500-1394393776_thumb.

post-158172-0-23613600-1394393788_thumb.

You need to do a lot more reading and understand what is being presented.

First of all, the eBay post states this specifically:

This item is INTENDED for End-users that need to get a computer back-up and running or system builders that recondition older computers for resale. This item is to be installed ONLY on a Formatted Windows 7 Partition. It is a Full Version Only.

So, searching Microsoft for refurbished PCs gave me many links to look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/refurbisher_programs.aspx#fbid=8uRq-H868y9

http://www.microsoft.com/refurbishedpcs/AvoidPiracy.aspx

From the first link, there is a .PDF linked near the bottom entitled: microsoft_refurbished_pc_licensing_guidelines.pdf

In that PDF is the following information:

What is a Refurbished PC?

A refurbished PC is a used PC that has gone through one or more of the following processes that 
leave the PC ready for use by a new owner:
●   Data wiping
●   Testing
●   Cosmetic repair and/or replacement of defective minor PC components
With respect to operating system licensing, a PC is considered to be a refurbished PC if it has the 
original motherboard, or a replacement was made of a defective motherboard with one of exactly the 
same make, model and specification. Major repairs, such as the installation of a new model 
motherboard, results in a “new” PC and not a “refurbished” PC.

IOW, it's an OEM type license.

I can use them, but only on one PC. The product key will be tied to that particular PC once installed because it is OEM. Now, whenever I buy a new PC (motherboard), I won't be to install and activate Windows on this new PC using the same DVD and key. That's is why I don't want to buy OEM. I want to have flexibility of installation and activating Windows on many PCs I build in future (installing on only one system at a time, of course).

This is what I came to know after a good two day research on internet.

You have to have an agreement with Microsoft for that and be licensed to provide a refurbished PC OS license with the PC or a license for reselling the OS with a new PC.

We can't help you with that here, in this product support web forum.

@ John

Thanks a lot for sharing the details. It was like an eye opener for me because the links and information you have posted really makes it very clear. I failed in my search I guess. Somehow I felt that I understood what the seller had written good enough, but I was wrong. I will check the links in more details when free. But I am certainly not going to buy from ebay now. 

Sometimes it is extremely difficult to comprehend even simple terms/words when they are put into such business contexts. It is always good to learn something new though. Thanks again. :)

@ David

Sorry, but I did not understand that well. I think it will be better to stay away from confusion. I will now consider buying the retail version if I get it locally or on a reliable website, even if it is at a higher cost. At least that way I can be assured of getting genuine copy of Windows, so that I can even take help from their support if required. Thanks for your help. :)

No problem - glad you decided to get a second opinion before actually buying the product.

BTW - you said you were in India?  Though I was born and raised in the US, both my parents are from UP....

Thanks. It would not have been possible to take the decision without the advice received here.

Oh, that's interesting! Yes, I am from India - Gujarat state. I think you would have heard the name. Have you ever been to India?

OK.  Thanx for the update. 

Buying the OS, from a reputable dealer Over the Counter (OTC), is your best bet.  Just buy one OS distribution DVD for each system and affix the license key-code sticker to the chassis and include the distribution DVD upon delivery.

OK.  Thanx for the update. 

Buying the OS, from a reputable dealer Over the Counter (OTC), is your best bet.  Just buy one OS distribution DVD for each system and affix the license key-code sticker to the chassis and include the distribution DVD upon delivery.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure if I understood it well, but do you mean I should buy one OS DVD per PC. That is I should buy an OEM version DVD for one PC and then when I buy new PC, I get new OEM DVD for that particular PC? So new OS for new PC?

Or could you please explain it in layman terms? :)

Not changing my mind, but I came across this from the same ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-SP1-Full-32-64-Bit-x32-x64-Version-CD-COA-NEW-/141135208854

UP FOR SALE: A  Brand New (As Photographed) - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full 32/64 Bit x32 & x64 Version CD / COA NEW. This is meant to be installed  on Used / refurbished machines. It will install on any machine if you are doing  a full fresh install. It is not intended to be used as a Reinstall over an  existing Operating system or installed as an Upgrade. We only Guarantee this  item to install on a PC. We recommend doing a FULL format and not Quick Format.  AS PHOTOGRAPHED

If Project_Contact sells any 0EM software it is sent with a broken motherboard  purchased.

Part Number(s): QGF-00071 = GFC-02050 UPC 0085370258509 / GFC-02021 UPC  00885370257540

This is similar to Professional (see DVD cover - Intended for distribution with refurbished PC) but just has extra description, quoted above.

I am surprised that he has sold over 4000 nos. of the same!!! Almost every review is positive and the seller seems to be legit looking at all his description and links (http://givingworks.ebay.com/charity-auctions/charity/6th-man-foundation-project-contact/1992/)

Otherwise why would so many reviews be positive? 

I am really surprised! 

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure if I understood it well, but do you mean I should buy one OS DVD per PC. That is I should buy an OEM version DVD for one PC and then when I buy new PC, I get new OEM DVD for that particular PC? So new OS for new PC?

Or could you please explain it in layman terms? :)

Yes !

One DVD equates to 1 license per computer it is to be installed on.

Ok, so I got a reply from that ebay seller and as John mentioned, it is an OEM version. Good that I did not make the purchase. Thanks all. :)

We are sorry to inform you but this item here is an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional. This item is not retail and comes as pictured in our listing. Thank you.

- project_contact