System Hangs at Boot - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Emsisoft update 8.1.0.40 possible conflict

Hello folks,

Here is my bug report.

The problem: After Emsisoft Anti-Malware recently updated to version 8.1.0.40 my system hangs during the boot process. The boot process proceeds as follows: the Widows 7 explorer shell loads then the Emsisoft Anti-Malware tray icons shows up after that the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware tray icon shows up then the system hangs. After that only a hard restart can reboot the system, but the process happens again and the system hangs again.

How did I fix the problem: I have booted my system using Safe Mode after that I had Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware real time protection disabled then I rebooted and the system is able to start normally again.

System and real time applications:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits (fully updated);

- Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300

- Comodo Firewall 6.3.302093.2976

- Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.3.514

I hope it helps you to solve this conflict between Emsisoft and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Best regards,

Aeolis

Hello and :welcome: , Aeolis:

Have you tried setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and EAM?
Some basic instructions for how to do that may be found in this helpdesk topic.
(It's for a different issue, but it lists the MBAM files to exclude in EAM.)

And for Comodo firewall, you'll want to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.
Once that's done, if any of your security apps has any sort of web filter, you'll want to add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

If that doesn't resolve your issue or if you need more help, the staff will need a bit more info to trouble-shoot.

Please follow the instructions below and post back with the following logs as attachments to your next reply:

• Checkresults.txt from mbam-check
  • A couple of protection logs, if you have them
  • DDS.txt from DDS
  • Attach.txt from DDS

These will provide the MBAM staff with a bit of information that will help them to pinpoint the cause and the solution for you.

Thanks!

daledoc1

-----------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.
Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.
Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
In Windows Vista/7/8, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

I see you posted on the Emsisoft site so I'll post here the fix for anyone else that may come along with a similar issue.

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/13768-after-emsisoft-update-81040-system-hangs-at-boot/

Lets add process exclusions for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Guard in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the File Guard tab.
  • In the lower-left corner, just above Alerts, click on the Manage whitelist link.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and change it from File to Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the white box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and these are the files you should add as process exclusions:

• mbam.exe
  • mbamgui.exe
  • mbamservice.exe

After that, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and do the following:

• Click on the Ignore List tab.
  • Click the Add button in the lower-left.
  • Using the little [+] and [-] buttons to open and close folders, go to C:\Program Files (x86) and click on the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder, then click OK.

After that you can set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to run on startup again, and then restart your computer.