Manual Definitions Download Link Out of Date

Hello,

I frequently help friends/relatives/my church out with their tech issues, and sometimes use the manual MBAM definitions download to update Malwarebytes if their internet connection isn't working. I recently tried doing this, and the manual definitions download link has definitions that are 84 days old (as of today). Underneath it says that the link should be updated weekly, and if it isn't to post in the forums about it...hence I am posting in the forums about it. Here is the link to where I try to download the definitions: http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/. (The bottom link is for the definitions download) Is there a way to make sure that link is update weekly? (I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses it at times) or is there a different link to use? Thanks for your help!

• Root Admin

That is not our link and is hosted by a system that is not managed or associated directly with Malwarebytes.   Arthur (the owner of that site) used to work for Malwarebytes and hosted the update for his own use and support.  Our FAQ has the proper link to use for this update and I've copied it below.

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.
SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Note: Starting with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60, you must also copy the file database.conf located within the Configuration folder which is in the same folder as rules.ref listed above.

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

Thanks

Err. You said that you had posted the correct link to the manual download of definitions. The link that you gave me is the same link that is located on the website that I gave you--it is outdated by 85 days. I don't expect it to up to date...but three months old seems a little ridiculous. Is there a way it could get updated at least monthly if not weekly?

• Root Admin

No, I gave you this link above

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

You reported this link, which I did not visit as he previously hosted the file himself.  I see now though that he is now linking to our same download file.

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/

I've not tested it myself but I'll see what it says and get back to you.

• Root Admin

Yeah, not sure what's going on there but I've sent email to the powers to be to see if we can get this going again.  Not sure when or why it stopped getting updated.

I'm going on vacation so I may not get back to this myself for a while but hopefully the Team will get it updated while I'm away.

Thanks Porthos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi soren470,

Did you try the trick below already?

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.
SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Note: Starting with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60, you must also copy the file database.conf located within the Configuration folder which is in the same folder as rules.ref listed above.

This should get your off-line PC up tot date again without having to wait for the MBAM staff.

This should get your off-line PC up tot date again without having to wait for the MBAM staff.

Hi, Durew: :)

I think that the problem the OP is reporting is the fact that the offline updater has/had not been updated in a long time: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=136821#entry755605

I just checked, and the mbam-rules.exe still has a time stamp from 8/26/2013.

I think we await an update from staff here and here, as well?

<just sayin'> :)

daledoc1

I was just reporting that it is out of date. I understand that there is a way to transfer the definitions, I just wanted to make sure that the Malwarebytes Staff were aware. It is a nice service to be able to use/offer to people...so it would be nice if it wasn't four months out of date (I know I use it every once and awhile).

As far as I am concerned, the manuel way of just coping the files from one computer to another is just as effective as using the downloaded rules.exe file.

It would be bad if they did not provide a way to do it manually, but they do and the steps are in the FAQ section . They even say the that the manual update will always be way out of date.....

• Windows XP and 2000

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

Thanks

@Daledoc1 and Soren470:

I had the impression that the problem with updating the off-line computer had not been solved so far. I seem to have misinterpreted the situation. I'm glad to know that it was just to let the staff know that the definitions are that very out-dated and that this doesn't stop soren470 from updating MBAM on the off-line computer.

• Root Admin

I'm still working on this issue but as this is related to a process that appears to have been discontinued for some reason it may take a while to track down why and see about getting it going again.  The workaround of getting updates from a working computer for most should provide newer updates regardless but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

I've been re-downloading the downloadable version every once and awhile recently to see if it gets updated---and it has! It is now using definitions from 7 days ago (Dec. 4th). I'm glad to see it was updated and hopefully it is something that can get updated at least monthly, if not even more frequently. Anyway, thanks so much for looking into it!

I've been re-downloading the downloadable version every once and awhile recently to see if it gets updated---and it has! It is now using definitions from 7 days ago (Dec. 4th). I'm glad to see it was updated and hopefully it is something that can get updated at least monthly, if not even more frequently. Anyway, thanks so much for looking into it!

Seriously, if it going to be maintained, it should be updated once per day or at the most every other day.  Once per month is actually useless in a malware environment t that changes as rapidly as it does.

Seriously, if it going to be maintained, it should be updated once per day or at the most every other day. Once per month is actually useless in a malware environment t that changes as rapidly as it does.

I mean, once a day would be ideal, but compared to the 3 1/2 months that it was currently out of date, anything is an improvement.