Unable to get mbam quick scan to complete

I've used mbam free version for years, and never had a problem with the program before now. I usually only run it occasionally when I suspect there is a problem, or when I'm working on someone else's computer.

Recently I suspected a possible malware problem on my computer due to cpu over-utilizaztion, so I ran mbam and updated to the latest version. However, a quick scan will not complete. It will run for a time, scan approximately 46,000 objects, and then hang. I have to use task manager to end the program because it is "not responding". It finds 4 infected objects, but since it will not complete, I can not deal with them. I know from watching the scan that one flagged object occurs while scanning System32, but the other three are in my downloads archive, and are almost certainly false positives (files such as param.lfs for my smart phone.) The scan always hangs in C:\USERS\USER NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\... followed by something like \L7JM4MSE\xd_arbiter.htm, but never the same file.

I have tried the following to resolve the problem: run chkdsk with the /f switch; scan in safe mode; run as administrator. I've probably attempted to scan at least a dozen times.

There are no logs in the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware\Logs directory, since the scan has never completed. I am attaching logs from mbam-check.exe and dds.scr since those seem to be the ones that will help troubleshoot the issue.

Incidentally, I have also very likely ruled out a malware infection by using TDSSKiller to rule out the possibility of a root kit and Comodo Cleaning Essentials.

I would really like to get mbam working again.

Thanks.

attach.txt

CheckResults.txt

dds.txt

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Being that you getting 4 detections, you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Being that you getting 4 detections, you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

I would agree that it is possible there is an infection, since there is appearantly one file of the four that looks to be detected during the scan of the Windows System32 directory. The other three files are almost certainly false positives, and this is based on both the fact that they reside in my downloads archive, and that I'm pretty sure I know what files they are based of mbam scams from the past.

The specific purpose of this post, however, was to ask for help getting mbam working. I may not need to go through the process of submitting a report if I can get mbam to complete the scan so I can see what files are being flagged. Or are you suggesting that mbam is malfunctioning specifically because of an infection? If so, can you address why you think that please.

I have tried the following to resolve the problem: run chkdsk with the /f switch; scan in safe mode; run as administrator. I've probably attempted to scan at least a dozen times.

I forgot to add to the above list that I did a clean uninstall with mbam-clean.exe and a fresh reinstall.

Some of the malware out there these days can block our tools to run scans so it can make it hard to remove the malware.

Its best to make sure its not the malware that is causing Malwarebytes to not complete the scans.

Also have you tried entering exceptions in your Antivirus software to make sure its not a conflict between your AV and MBAM?

Also have you tried entering exceptions in your Antivirus software to make sure its not a conflict between your AV and MBAM?

Yes, I use AVG, and temporarily disable protection for 10 minutes to run the scan. Forgot to add that to the list as well.

Okay, guess I'll go ahead and submit a case to the Malware Removal Help forum.

But, did you look at the logs I posted? I'm not sure how to read them with regard to mbam, but it is my understanding that there might be information there that would shed some light on the issue?

Thanks.

Yes I looked at the logs you posted, at a quick glance there was a few things that needed to be updated and I did not see too much more, but more tools need to be run to get a better look under the hood, but we can not run those tools in this section of the forum, hence why I referred you to the experts....