Malwarebytes & Norton Internet Security together

Hello,

Can i use Malwarebytes pro (1.51.0.1200) and Norton Internet Security 2011 at same time in same pc.

Or do this slow down the computer or another problems ?

They always tell me "do not put 2 real time Security scanners at 1 pc"

I hope somebody can advise me.

Greetings Paul

Hello Paul, welcome to Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is not an antivirus. You can have both Norton and MBAM active at the same time, but Norton is...not exactly the best product around, so unless you have a paid license or something, I'd strongly suggest removing it in favour of avast! or Avira. MBAM will work just fine alongside either of those, you might have to setup an exclusion list. These are the files that should be ignored by your antivirus if you encounter any problems.

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\MBAM.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\MBAMGUI.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\MBAMSERVICE.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\MBAM.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\MBAMSWISSARMY.sys
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\RULES.ref

Here are the instructions to get Norton and Malwarebytes working together....

Norton Internet Security 2011

To avoid any conflicts, please add the following files/folders as exclusions

Norton Internet Security 2011:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Note: On Vista and 7 this will be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011 on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Note: On Vista and 7 this will be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for Norton Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton Internet Security and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you have any problems, please post back and one of the Experts will assist you

Thanks, ;)

Hello,

Can i use Malwarebytes pro (1.51.0.1200) and Norton Internet Security 2011 at same time in same pc.

Or do this slow down the computer or another problems ?

They always tell me "do not put 2 real time Security scanners at 1 pc"

I hope somebody can advise me.

Greetings Paul

Hello Paul,

Firefox has provided an excellent tutorial for you.

Regarding Norton internet security 2011, please keep in mind that most users have their own opinions about security products. I have used Norton internet security for several years now along with MBAM Pro and no slowing or problems encountered at all, nor have i had any virus or malware problems. I must add though that i am careful when online and do not tempt fate as some do because there is no anti virus program that is perfect.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Norton is very good nowadays.in fact i think it is excellent and somebody earlier said it was not the best product around at the moment.An explanation of that statement would be appreciated.

I was a comodo user but their product gets worse every year.

Norton is very light and i hardly notice it is on my computer.

Hi.

Norton is very good nowadays.in fact i think it is excellent and somebody earlier said it was not the best product around at the moment.An explanation of that statement would be appreciated.

0b3eY.png

What's the problem with Comodo? It's been quite a while since I last used it but it was never giving me any problems, so it might be user error on your part if something doesn't work as expected.

Your post lacks weight. You have 4 posts, one of which is irrelevant to the topic it's in. Not very credible in my opinion. You should at least state your reasoning

Hi.

Excuse me for going off-topic but I would do it since the OP's question has been answered.

Norton is getting bloatware. It is extremely big compared to some other products such as AVIRA's or ESET's for example, and doesn't offer so much more protection. I can't afford my computer to be slowed down because Norton is so big.

Have a look at version 2011 and now 2012 - so many unnecessary pictures, so many unneeded functions, so big definitions, it is awful. Compare versions 2009 and 2012 and you'll see how many new extra stuff is there, how bigger 2012 is. There are many things I do NOT want on my comp.

And if we have a look at the corp. version Endpoint protection - then all I can say is OMG, what the **** is this huge creature !!!

I think you should uninstall Norton and just try for a few days another product such NOD32, for example, and see the difference yourself. MBAM is great addition to any product.

I think Norton was going right, but turned wrong the last year.

• 2 weeks later...

0b3eY.png

What's the problem with Comodo? It's been quite a while since I last used it but it was never giving me any problems, so it might be user error on your part if something doesn't work as expected.

Your post lacks weight. You have 4 posts, one of which is irrelevant to the topic it's in. Not very credible in my opinion. You should at least state your reasoning � that would be much appreciated.

The latest offering from comodo is weak compared to previous versions and several tests and reviews will show this.

It may not have given you any problems but it obviously has given problems to other users and if you visit there forums you will clearly see that their signed malware list is growing by the day and the sandbox has been proven to leak malware on to the system.

The list could go on.!

comodo time machine corrupting hard drives to the point of being unusable.

cleaning essentials wiping important windows data.

Stay away from comodo would be a suitable piece of advice.

Thank you.

Excuse me for going off-topic but I would do it since the OP's question has been answered.

Norton is getting bloatware. It is extremely big compared to some other products such as AVIRA's or ESET's for example, and doesn't offer so much more protection. I can't afford my computer to be slowed down because Norton is so big.

Have a look at version 2011 and now 2012 - so many unnecessary pictures, so many unneeded functions, so big definitions, it is awful. Compare versions 2009 and 2012 and you'll see how many new extra stuff is there, how bigger 2012 is. There are many things I do NOT want on my comp.

And if we have a look at the corp. version Endpoint protection - then all I can say is OMG, what the **** is this huge creature !!!

I think you should uninstall Norton and just try for a few days another product such NOD32, for example, and see the difference yourself. MBAM is great addition to any product.

I think Norton was going right, but turned wrong the last year.

What utter nonsense.

norton only uses about 11mb on my machine and is very light on resources.

it seems to me you need to look at other applications running on your computer before blaming norton for any slow-downs.

Some people prefer to have extra functions in their security programs.

Its a no-win situation for norton and other companies because if norton excluded the "un-needed" functions and unnecessary pictures then people would complain there wasnt enough.

It depends on how you surf the internet as to how effective the security is.

many regards.

EEEK! I use Comodo Firewall (only the Firewall) and have found it to be a superb Firewall when it is installed and configured properly. There are a lot of interesting posts on the Comodo Firewall page on CNET (CNET is a tremendous download website and it always pays to scroll down the "Program Page" that you are looking at to see if there are any posts about the program; most programs have got heaps of posts that a lot of important things about the program can be learned from) including some that complain about weird things that the Firewall can do, such as it's settings mysteriously changing: one writer said that the "cure" is to not let Comodo do any updates. I have had a lot of experience with Comodo, and have found that the trick to getting Comodo to behave properly lies in the way you install it. The installation procedure takes you through several "panels", but there is one in particular that you have got to be ready for, and you have to be able to move your mouse with great speed and accuracy, because the "panel" in question only appears for about two seconds, but in that two seconds you have to try and put a "tick" or "check" in a miniscule little check-box way up in the left-top corner of the "panel". Checking or ticking that little box is absolutely crucial, because if you do not do it you will have endless trouble with the Firewall once it is installed. The new version of the Firewall has got a "panel" that appears just before the one with the tiny checkbox, and it asks you if you want the Firewall (dumb question!) and also "Geekbuddies". They are both already checked/ticked but what you should do is UNCHECK GEEKBUDDIES. "Geekbuddies" is a liability and killing it dead is the best way to go. As for the "panel" with the wee check/tick box, well, I have done heaps of installations of Comodo and I never let the installation process continue, and instead abort it and start again, if I am too slow or shaky or the mouse-cable kinks up to enable the tick/check to be gotten into the box. I keep going through the process until that tick/check gets into that box. If the tick/check is not in it, and you install the program, then it will be impossible to configure as various settings will be liable to change on a seemingly random basis. Also, if you install Comodo correctly as has been attempted to be described here (remember, what you need to get is the FIREWALL program: Comodo make another program which is a "combi" program caled "Comodo Internet Security" that consists of Firewall, Geekbuddies, and some kind of Antivirus and you should AVOID this combi program as it is absolutely awful)you might, after you have configured it (be sure to set it so that it "learns")get hosed-off by the way it will pester you all the time with popups every time something is going on, but this is actually one of the many fabulous things about Comodo because it is "wanting" to "learn" and every time you tell it "Yes" or "No" (it can take a bit of getting used to how to answer some of it's "questions" but if you play round with the "Ask/Answer" features a bit such as the drop-down expansion button on the "Ask/Answer" popup panel you gradually suss it out)it really is "learning" and the pestering will very quickly over the course of a couple days rapidly diminish until soon whole days will go by without Comodo trying to get your attention at all. Am not too worried if the Sandbox is not much good as is talked about in the conversations on this (MBAM Website)page because my bug-hunters (MBAM, Ad-Aware, and Avira) should be able to grab any nastie that escapes from the Sandbox anyway. You can disable the Sandbox completely if you want because the whole point of obtaining the Comodo Firewall is to get exactly that: an absolutely magnificent Firewall that once it has been installed, configured, and "trained" properly, could not be beaten by any other firewall and there probably is not another one that can even match Comodo.

NEARLY FORGOT: When Comodo is correctly installed (and should have mentioned earlier that after that Panel with the tiny checkbox you will reach another Panel that will ask you how "Pro-Active" you want the Firewall to be - and be sure to select the MAXIMUM option; it is very important to do this and I am kicking myself for having forgotten to mention it previously - and when you have opened up the program and configured it (it has a beautiful interface)you will find after it has done a download (always let it download)that there will be a couple of new configuration options that appear in the interface one of which, if memory serves correct, is "Create Rules For Safe Applications". Here is the way I configure Comodo from front-to-back: FIREWALL BEHAVIOUR SETTINGS: Firewall Security Level = "Safe Mode"; Create Rules For Safe Applications (check); Enable IPV6 Filtering (check); ALERT SETTINGS/ALERT FREQUENCY LEVEL: "Very High"; This Computer Is An Internet Connection Gateway, ie an ICS Server (check); Enable Alerts For TCP Requests (check); Enable Alerts For UDP Requests (check); Enable Alerts For ICMP Requests (check); Enable Alerts For Loopback Requests (check). ADVANCED: Protect The ARP Cache (check); Block Gratuitious ARP Frames (check); Block Fragmented IP Datagrams (check); Do Protocol Analyses (check). DO NOT PUT A CHECK BESIDE "Monitor NDIS Protocols Other Than TCP/IP" because you will be in for an absolute nightmare if you do as your entire OS goes haywire!!! Press the "OK" button and then select DEFENSE.

DEFENSE SETTINGS/GENERAL SETTINGS: I set the slider to "Paranoid Mode" but thats just me!!! Underneath this is "Block All Unkown Requests If Application Is Closed" and you should be persistent in putting a check/tick by this even though Comodo will protest and try and talk you out of it. Ignore Comodo and put the check in. Nothing can go wrong with your system by checking this setting. The other two entries in General Settings to put checks next to are: Enable Adaptive Mode Under Low System Resources, (and) Create Rules For Safe Applications.

EXECUTION CONTROL SETTINGS: Execution Control Level = Enabled.

Treat Unrecognised Files As "Partially Limited"

Do Heuristic Command-Line Analyses For Certain Applications (check)

Perform Cloud-Based Behaviour Analyses For Unrecognised Files (check)

Automatically Scan Unrecognised Files In The Cloud (check)

Detect Shellcode Injections i.e. Buffer Overflow Protection (check)

And that is nearly all that you need to configure (some of the foregoing are already preconfigured but have included everything just to make sure as it is a long time since I last installed Comodo). There is still the Sandbox Configuration Panel but it is dead-simple to set how you want or even deactivate. After the Sandbox Panel is a Panel that is entirely configured by default correctly.

Now if you go back to the FIREWALL Menu Panel (with all the options on it) there is an icon of a guy with sunglasses and "Stealth Ports Wizard" beside him. Click this to open the menu so you can select how you want Comodo to deal with Internet traffic. I use "Block All Incoming Connections And Make My Ports Stealth For Everyone". A little popup will materialise (after a bit of a lag sometimes) to tell you the system is configured as you wish.

After that has been done, select the MORE option on the Main Menu and then select "Manage My Configurations". All you have to do is make sure that "Comodo Pro-Active Security" has got "Active" in the panel beside it. Click it to highlight it and then press the top-right "Activate" button and it will produce a little popup to tell you everything is set the way you want.

Comodo is a great Firewall: it is so "big" and has such an enormous plethora of things to explore that it can get quite mind-boggling! But it has not driven me nuts. HEEE HEEEE HEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hi ebam1972, thanks for your post. I have not been back to this page for quite a while. Yeah, Comodo is great - I used to have the old version of ZoneAlarm Firewall which was the best thing around by far in those days (but good grief, look at ZoneAlarm now!!!) but them times are long gone, and Comodo Firewall in my opinion has no equal for sheer sophistication and excellence (absolutely glorious Interface), although I wish they would make it far easier to install so that people did'nt have to go through the arcane rigamarole that unfortunately is imperative if you want to get a stable installation: a heck of a lot of people must give up and ditch Comodo when they install it without knowing the "tricks" you have to know in order to do it properly. It is very mystifying why they made the process like that - they obviously don't want people to tick that tiny little box but that is exactly what made me determined to do it no matter how long, and how many attempts it took!!! Thanks again ebam1972.

Heck, have to add some more about Comodo: for a few days now have been getting a "Geekbuddies" panel (like a great big notice, a lot like the one you get popping up from Avira when you are manually updating it) popping up on the Desktop from time to time when booting up: was just about jumping out of my skin at first, but pretty soon it became clear that it is absolutely benign: it does nothing except materialise, and when you click it "off" it vanishes for the duration. Comodo itself is in no way any different in appearance/behaviour, and verdict is "No Problem". (Same with the Avira "Toolbar popup" that made it's debut a couple days ago: just clicked it off a couple times and have not seen it for quite a while).

• 2 months later...

I today received a new laptop running 64-bit Windows 7, so I came here to setup my exclusions for NAV and MBAM PRO. Thing is, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys is nowhere to be found for me. I've followed the steps to the letter (displaying hidden files, operating system files, known file types) but it's just not there. Is this a problem?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know that this is an OLD thread, but since I have been using NIS for over three years now, when I USED TO HATE Norton, because it was a memory hog, I will add my two cents worth. I quit NORTON years ago because it was a major memory hog. Those who think it still is have NOT tried NIS. It is NOTHING like the old NORTON. Norton 360 may well still be like the old Norton, a memory hog that has earned the nickname bloatware. BUT AGAIN, I say that IS NOT TRUE about NIS. I am a big time gaming host, and NIS is a gamers dream. I used to have to shut of my Internet Security to host the Novalogic games that I have hosted for years. I now host flawlessly DFX and UT2004 games, with NIS running continuously at the same time. NIS of today uses very little memory running in the background.

DC_Scout_67

• 1 month later...

I tried to set up the exclusions recommended in a post above, but these files are not on the computer:

• C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

And, yes, I did make the hidden files visible as instructed.

You won't be able to add mbam.sys because Norton won't actually let you view the System32 folder (it gets redirected by Windows itself to SysWOW64 because it is a 32 bit program).

mbamswissarmy.sys will not be present unless you are currently running a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but that file should not need to be excluded for compatibility so you should be fine.