What are Pre-Scan Operations?

Hi:

Until a staff member weighs in...

When running a scan, what exactly does Pre-Scan Operations do in MBAM (free version)?

I presume it's enumerating the files to be scanned, loading the malware database, checking the scanner settings and other essential tasks.

Is there any way to turn it off, or should I leave it on if it's beneficial?

Even if one could "turn it off" -- which I very seriously doubt -- I'm pretty sure doing so would break the scanning capability, if not the program.
Sounds like a bad idea.
I would think it would be best to leave MBAM to work as it is programmed to do.

Thank you for your questions,

More info about v2.1 HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Hi:

Until a staff member weighs in...

I presume it's enumerating the files to be scanned, loading the malware database, checking the scanner settings and other essential tasks.

Even if one could "turn it off" -- which I very seriously doubt -- I'm pretty sure doing so would break the scanning capability, if not the program.

Sounds like a bad idea.

I would think it would be best to leave MBAM to work as it is programmed to do.

Thank you for your questions,

More info about v2.1 HERE

User Guide ONLINE

User Guide PDF

FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Hi daledoc1, I think you're right in saying what you think it does, I just want one of the MBAM staff to confirm though. It even does 'Pre-Scan Operations' when scanning just one file or small folder, which can take 30 seconds alone.  :o

Hi Transformers--

daledoc1 is correct.  

And loading the various databases alone can take some time depending on the total size.  And since that's required to scan just one file, you'll see this on even small scans.  

We are due to optimize our databases here shortly, and that typically results in a smaller overall file size.  So hopefully when that happens you'll see some improvement on the time for the pre-scan operations.

And to confirm, you definitely don't want to turn this off, nor is there any way to do so.   :)

Hi Transformers--

daledoc1 is correct.  

And loading the various databases alone can take some time depending on the total size.  And since that's required to scan just one file, you'll see this on even small scans.  

We are due to optimize our databases here shortly, and that typically results in a smaller overall file size.  So hopefully when that happens you'll see some improvement on the time for the pre-scan operations.

And to confirm, you definitely don't want to turn this off, nor is there any way to do so.   :)

Okay, thanks bdubrow.