MWB Prem - stuck in perpetual UPDATE - Me too

I don't want to hijack post "MWB Prem - stuck in perpetual UPDATE - but no activity in Task Manager" by CurlySue but I'm experiencing the same problem.

The only differences are:

- I very occasionally (perhaps 5 min interval) see a quick blip of very low activity from mbamservice.exe

- My  "Daily Protection Log" is very brief:

Protection, 2014-12-05 12:26:17, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 2014-12-05 12:26:17, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 2014-12-05 12:26:17, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 2014-12-05 12:27:14, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Update,     2014-12-05 12:50:02, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Scheduler, Rootkit Database, 2014.12.2.2, 2014.12.3.1,
Update,     2014-12-05 12:50:08, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Scheduler, Malware Database, 2014.12.3.4, 2014.12.5.4,
Protection, 2014-12-05 13:50:01, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 2014-12-05 13:50:01, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 2014-12-05 13:50:01, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 2014-12-05 13:51:05, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Update, 2014-12-05 13:52:18, SYSTEM, PCNAME, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.12.5.4, 2014.12.5.5,

Hello alan_s:

Thank you for the log excerpt. Let's start with some basic diagnostics please:

• Please read the following and individually attach the 3 requested logs in a reply to this thread: Diagnostic Logs.
  • The 3 files, from Step 1, to be individually attached from your desktop are: CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Copy and Paste them into a reply.

Thank You.

An observation: MBAM was running in the “Eternal update” state.  I restarted the computer, clicked 'Update now' and got 'No updates available'.  Also, the database version was consistent with the current time.  Could this mean that the update has actually been done when the “Eternal update” state starts?

And I forgot to mention the system.

- Windows 7 Pro updated with the October patches

- Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor 

MBAM is excluded from these and vice-versa

They and MBAM have always worked fine together.  

Anyway, here are the logs you requested. They were taken when MBAM was running in the “Eternal update” state. 

Please let me know if there's anything more you need. 

And thank you for your prompt response.  

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hello alan_s:

Several issues are apparent in your logs where not the least of which is the loss of two important services associated with MBAM. Let's continue by having you follow the steps below:

• Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x.
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and individually attach the 3 requested logs in a reply to this thread: Diagnostic Logs.
  • The 3 files, from Step 2, to be individually attached from your desktop are: CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Copy and Paste them into a reply.
Your system would have eventually been downloaded with the application update to build 1028 - the above will also do that by default although not related to your system troubles.

Please let us know the status of your issue in a reply to this thread.

Thank You.

FYI This may have been a temporary CDN issue.

I experienced the same thing on all 3 systems the other day, upon cold starting and a manual update check soon after booting.

It's unlikely my MBAM installation "broke" on all 3 computers within a day of each other, but at different times (and therefore different databases).

And one of them was already updated to 2.0.4, so I don't think it was an issue with 2.0.3, either.

The workaround for me (running Premium) was to exit MBAM from the system tray and re-launch it from the desktop shortcut.

When I did so, the GUI "refreshed" properly to show the current (at that time) database.

And all subsequent update checks have been normal.

@alan_s: if you are still having problems, please follow 1PW's original suggestions in his previous reply and then post back and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Yesterday, I did the clean removal process and installed 2.0.4 (needed doing anyway) and so far eveything is working fine.

daledoc1 - I thought it strange that 4 people (here) had this problem at around the same time unless there was a common cause.  I will certainly remember you workaround should it happen again. 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips.