Missing or Corrupt Database

Is there any possiblity that the developers could tweak the code of MBAM Service (mbamservice.exe) so as make it more system-friendly?

When mbamservice.exe runs everything else stops as it takes up 100% of CPU cycles.  This can be really annoying at times.

It should be relatively easy to modify the code so that mbamservice is throttled to a maximum of - for example - 50% of CPU cycles.

T.

Hi Ron, thanks for your prompt reply.

Normally I would agree with you.  If you monitor mbamservice.exe it will use from 0% to 2% of CPU cycles.  However, 10 to 15 times during a normal day (perhaps these times are associated with updates or the period immediately after updates) when mbamservice.exe will suddenly grab 100% of CPU cycles for perhaps 2 to 4 minutes.

Now, that may sound like I am complaining about nothing - 2 to 4 minutes does not sound like much - but I am not really complaining.  I firmly believe that any monitoring software, such as an AV product, should be throttled to a max of 50% of CPU cycles.

On newer faster machines (multi-core, 6GB RAM, Windows 8) this happens so quickly that it is not a problem.  However, on older machines running XP (of which Microsoft estimates there are still 300 million in daily use) it can be an issue if the user is in the process of Uploading or Downloading an important file.

So really this is just a suggestion that the developers may like to tweak the code so as to limit any MBAM operation to a maximum of 50% of CPU cycles.

T.

• Root Admin

I'm saying that there is probably something going on with your system and why I asked for logs. I run the program on several of my own systems and this does not happen to any of them. If it was using 100% then yes there is something wrong and why I need logs to see what's going on.

Please post the requested logs and I'll be happy to review it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

When trying to Scan a message-box pops up informing that the database is "Missing or Corrupt" and asks if a new database must be downloaded.  Clicking "Yes" does not resolve the problem if the user is logged in with a standard User Account.

If the user logs in with the Administrator Account then a new database will be downloaded and the problem is resolved in the short-term.  But the next time the user tries to run a Scan the problem has returned and the same process has to be repeated.

MBAM control panel states "Your System is Fully Protected".  Now, if the database is missing or corrupt how can the system be "Fully Protected".  If the database is not missing or corrupt what problem is generating the message-box?

T.

Hi:

Since I recall that you've used some non-standard methods to work with the database in the past, it's possible that something is corrupted.

It might be a good idea to start fresh -- if the clean reinstall doesn't resolve the issue, then the staff will likely need some system info to help sort it out:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi Dale

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps something that I have not clarified is that the questions that I ask may be in reference to different machines, installations, OS's..... etc.  Therefore a question asked last week may refer to machine X whereas a question this week may refer to machine Y.

You wrote..... Since I recall that you've used some non-standard methods to work with the database in the past, it's possible that something is corrupted......

A non-standard method would ONLY be used on a Test Machine - which could be completely rebuilt if necessary from an Image.  It is good practice to try things in a test environment before implementing a risky procedure in a live environment.

Thanks for your instructions with respect to an Uninstall / Reinstall.   I will keep these on file for future reference.

Uninstall / Reinstalls are however not my preferred method of resolving software issues and typically I will only resort to this type of procedure as a very last resort - when nothing else works.  It is also worth noting that Uninstalls / Reinstalls often don't resolve the problem as they may not address the real  issue, which may be a bug within the software or a particular environmental condition.

T

Hi:

Thanks for the update.

Without a bit of system info, it may be hard for the staff and dev team to sort this out.

If you're not willing to try a clean reinstall (which often fixes many minor issues), then I suggest that you please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt), or you may wish instead to open a ticket at the help desk here: Contact Consumer Support.

Thanks,

I note that on some systems (not all, just some) that the information provided by MBAM to the User is contradictory.

Look at the attached composite Screenshot.  This information is being provided by MBAM to the User at the same time.  One piece of information contradicts the other two pieces of information.  Both cannot be correct at the same time.  So the User doesn't know whether they are or are not protected.

T.

post-99649-0-25252300-1405681970_thumb.j

Hi, again:

As this seems to be related to your other, similar topic >>here<<, the mod team may merge the separate posts into 1 thread, in order to minimize clutter and confusion.

OTOH,if you are reporting different issues with multiple different computers, then it would be helpful to clearly state that, so that things don't become overly confusing, with multiple open forum threads.

There are some known "logging" and "display" issues with the current build.
However, in order to proceed with routine troubleshooting, we would ask that you please start here, for one system at a time:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi Dale, thanks for your reply and information provided.

I am however just slightly confused with your analysis that "....seems to be related to your other similar topic.....".   I fail to understand what is "similar" about these two issues.  And in addition, they may not even be occurring on the same machine. 

You state that - ".....There are some known "logging" and "display" issues with the current build.....".  OK.  We all know that software is seldom (if ever) perfect, so the fact that there may be some "issues" is perfectly normal.  However, I am at a loss to comprehend what ".... logging and dispaly.... " issues have to do with this problem.

On two different screens MBAM is giving the User two completely different answers to a very important question - in fact the most important question that any security software has to answer.  The question that the User is asking is - ".... is my system protected.... "  On one screen MBAM is reporting "Yes it is" and on another screen it is reporting "No it isn't".

Come on Dale, this is totally unacceptable.  You know that, I know that, and if an MBAM developer reads this they will also know that.

We all want MBAM to work properly - the users and the developers equally.  But if every time a well-meaning user reports that something is wrong and then that report is simply swept under the carpet and the user is given the stock answer of "do a clean removal and reinstall".  That does not help the users or the developers to improve the product.

T.

• Root Admin

Please post the requested logs if you wish to obtain assistance. Guessing what's going on doesn't help anyone. These programs help to give us a better understanding of what is running on the computer and possibly show us either what is going on or may show that there is some type of infection that needs to be dealt with.

• Root Admin

Yes there are known issues with the GUI and the logging and will be addressed in a future update. As daledoc1 has requested from you now a few times please either post the requested logs so that we can assist you otherwise I'll close your topic since we cannot assist  you further without logs.

• Root Admin

Since you continue to post on what would appear to be very similar issues (different system or  not) and in every case you refuse to post logs I have merged your posts here.

We don't mind that you post issues but when you don't allow us to help you that really isn't productive for you or us as we now spend time reading and replying to something you would appear to have no intention of allowing us to help you with further.

If you do wish to obtain further assistance then please post your specific issue and post back the requested diagnostic logs to at least get started with.

Thank you

MERGED TOPIC TITLES  :   1.  Missing or Corrupt Database   2.  MBAM Providing Contradictory Information.

Hello Ron, thank you for your replies.

You have requested "Logs" in order to address the 2 separate, unrelated, issues that I have raised at present and I assume any issues that I may raise in the future.

In order for me to do that I will need to obtain a dual-signed "Data Release Authorisation" for each User, for each issue, for each Log.   In order to obtain the "Data Release Authorisation" I will need to provide each of the signatories with the detail of exactly what information is contained within each of the "Logs".  I will also need to provide evidence of where this information will be sent, who will view this information and what will happen to the information once the issue has either been resolved or not, as the case may be.

If you can provide me with the above then I will request the "Data Release Authorisation" and we can proceed to the next stage.

I think it is relevant for you to understand that I am an independent computer consultant providing IT services to end-Users.  I have a responsibility to protect the systems and the associated data of those end-Users.  Up until now I have unreservedly recommended MBAM Premium to all end-Users.  I am startng to wonder if that was a wise decision.

T.

Since privacy of data and information is a concern, I would recommend rather than seeking help on a public forum where anyone visiting the forum could view any information posted, including logs; that you instead contact our Support team directly here so that they can work with you privately via email.

You can request any additional information from the Support representative that accepts your support ticket(s) and I'm certain that they will let you know exactly what happens to any of the information you submit to them.

If you are a service provider, partner, affiliate or reseller, it might be best to instead contact our Business Support team here.

Hi Samuel, thanks for your reply and the advice given.  I will remember that in future.

Just to clarify my position - I am not a service provider, partner, affiliate or reseller.  I am an independent computer consultant providing IT services to end-Users.

For the most part I use Forums, not Support, to resolve problems - and have been doing so successfully for more than 10 years.  In most cases ( probably more than 90% ) a problem experienced by one user will have in the past, or may currently be a problem experienced by other users.  Typically someone will have found a solution to that problem that can be shared across the Forum.

The biggest benefits of a Forum is that a solution can be shared and in so doing the same problem is not logged repeatedly with Support - which is a considerable waste of valuable time and expertise.

Over the years I have resolved more than a 1,000 problems in my area of expertise (MIcrosoft products) and these solutions have been applied widely by many thousands of users and has negated the need to raise repetitive support calls.

For other software I will continue to use Forums.  For Malwarebytes I will in future use Support.

T.

Yes, that's very much one of the reasons we use forums, however in using forums (or any remote means of support where direct access to the computer in question is not possible) we require logs in order to determine the state of the system and what the possible cause(s) as well as solution(s) to a particular problem or problems may be. This is particularly true when it comes to security software as there may be any number of possible causes of a given issue including conflicts with other security software, drivers, hardware or corrupt installations (missing files, corrupt files, mismatched file versions etc.) and the logs are the only way to make such determinations. Basically, without more data there's not much we can do to help, either here on the forums (where the logs would be posted publicly which you yourself seemed to have objections to as far as how they would be used, which is moot because it's a public forum meaning anyone reading the topic could use the information in the logs in any way they choose, including non-Malwarebytes personnel) or privately on the helpdesk via email (which I only suggested because you were apprehensive about posting the logs and how the information from the logs might be used).