MBAM Freezing Computer - In Scan

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and was looking for some assistance with a problem I have been having with the new Malewarebytes Anti-Maleware version 2.0.2.1012 during my scans.

The problem I am experiencing is MBAM will crash during a scan and my computer will also freeze up and I will be unable to do anything.  I have to hold the power button down until the computer shuts off and restart it.  The problem occurs when I am running a custom scan with the following custom scanning options enabled: scan memory objects, scan startup and registry settings, scan archives and scan for rootkits.  I select my hdd and ssd as the locations to scan.  Once it starts scanning the system drivers it freezes on "object scanned" number 108.  It freezes on this specific object everytime.  I've tried running it in safe mode and the same thing occurs.  I figured it might have something to do with the scan rootkit option being enabled so I downloaded MBAR and that also freezes, except I can see the name of the file and it is igdkmd64.sys.  My research shows that this is related to the integrated intel HD 4000 gpu?  Either way I'm not sure if that is related or not.

I've searched the forums and was unable to find anything that can help.  I don't believe this is related to any actual infection but I'm not an expert and it's always possible there is an infectoin.  I tried the mbam cleaner to remove the software and redownloaded it and that did not help. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance and sorry for the lengthy e-mail. 

BTW I'm running a lenovo y580, win 7 64 bit, gtx 660m nvidia gpu, intel i7 3610q quad core processor with hybrid ssd and hdd.  If it makes a difference with advice or suggestions on where to start.

Cheers

Hello and :welcome: :

For the record, a "Custom" scan of all internal and mounted drives by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is neither recommended nor necessary on a routine basis -- that is a task better suited to your anti-virus (AV).  Moreover, running routine "full" scans, may cause eventual, excessive wear and tear on the drive.  After a baseline "full scan" after installing the program (if desired), Threat scans are all that are needed for most users under most conditions.

Having said that, although it's not normal for MBAM to freeze or hang, there are many possible reasons why MBAM might appear to do so during a scan.
These include many factors, such as: software conflicts (e.g. with your anti-virus), system configuration issues, corrupt or damaged files, cluttered or corrupt disk sectors, large file size (especially archives, such as zip and rar files), the use of anti-rootkit (ARK) scanning,  and the presence of malware, just to name a few.

For starters, you might try the following to begin troubleshooting:

• Disable ARK scanning
  • Disable archive scanning
  • Set mutual exclusions between MBAM and your antivirus -- the MBAM files to exclude are listed >>here<<, but let us know if you need help
  • Follow the advice in this pinned topic >>here<<
  • Running just a Threat scan on the Windows OS drive (usually C:), where MBAM should be installed

If none of those helps, or if you need more assistance, then we will probably need a bit more information about your system.
So, please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

Hi daledoc,

Thank you for taking time to help me out. I followed your directions adding malware bytes to Norton security suite exclusion list for auto protection and the firewall.

I also ran a custom scan with no archive or root kit scanning and selected only the c drive it was running nearly 6hrs and only scanned about 70k files then the computer froze. I ran it again in safe mode. This time scan ran 15hrs and only reached 96k objects scanned, the computer didn't freeze this time but the mouse would move very slow and wasn't allowing me to shutdown. I had to shut it down to leave for work this morning. I plan to follow your links for system checking any errors and running the diagnostic scans. I'll post the results... Hopefully tonight.

Thank you again

• Root Admin

If infections are found and not being remove then I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Please do not post any further logs here - simply post your current logs in the other forum as requested in a new topic and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Thank you