Norton Antivirus detected Trojan.KillAV in MWB directory

Hi Lagooner10, I am curious about this also as my Norton AV did the same thing, however it detected a trojan.pandex and my file in question is c:\program files (x86)\malwarebytes anti-malware\00025707.tmp. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with the recent installation of the new version of MBAM.

My computer has no odd symptoms and Norton has detected anything else since, even after numerous reboots.

• Staff

This is we are pretty sure norton putting these files there and detecting them. This we dont think is intentional just some quirk with the norton program. I have analyzed files from other users and it contains malware definitions that arent from us. How they are getting in our folder seems to be a result of norton for some reason. These files do not exist on machines that arent running norton.

This is we are pretty sure norton putting these files there and detecting them. This we dont think is intentional just some quirk with the norton program. I have analyzed files from other users and it contains malware definitions that arent from us. How they are getting in our folder seems to be a result of norton for some reason. These files do not exist on machines that arent running norton.

Are these files truly malware, or a false-positive? I just want to make sure my system is safe. I've run full scans with both Norton and MBAM via safe-mode and they found nothing. I've also run NPE and nothing comes up. My system is acting completely normal.

Just wanted to post an update on this. I posted in the Norton 360 forums and was asked to submit a copy of the file for review. However, upon lifting the file from quarantine, the .tmp file was nowhere to be found! I was worried that somehow I let something bad back into my system, so did the same set of scans again with MBAM, Norton 360 and NPE. Everything seems fine. A responder in the Norton forums said that .tmp files come and go all the time and it sounds like this one did what it was supposed to do and is now gone.

So, still not sure that that .tmp file was and why Norton flagged it. But's gone now and the consensus is that everything seems ok. I will post again if anything gets flagged again.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...