[SOLVED] MBAE won't run

JSHill

I downloaded and installed MBAE 1.03.1.1220.  It does not start automatically.  If I start it manually, I can see it running in task manager's process list.  It does not display anything on my computer.  It runs for several minutes and then puts up the error message: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started.  The Anti-Exploit process will be terminated.

MBAE logs.zip

I am running XP and don't have any of the items listed in the post about incompatibilites - no Avast, no EMET, etc.

I would appreciate any help.

• Staff

Can you please attach here the following:

1. mbae-uninstaller.log from C:\Program Files(x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
  2. All the files (in a ZIP) from C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (your previous attachment doesn't include all the files)
  3. The 2 logs from running DDS

Thanks!

My previous attachment was from c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\malwarebytes anti-exploit and contains all files in that folder.

The antivirus/security programs that I use are AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes (all free versions).  I am not at all sure how to whitelist a directory in any of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit' - I am running Windows XP - I don't have a programdata folder.

attach.txt

dds.txt

mbae-uninstall.log

Thanks for your help.

• Staff

You're right, it's Document and Settings and not ProgramData, my bad.

As for the installation of MBAE, it seems it was a failed or blocked install. The Run entry is not there and the service failed to install. Also the logs directory is missing some files. Maybe one of your other security apps blocked the installation? Sometimes this is also indicative of the user account not having access rights to the Windows Service Control Manager (SCM). Can you right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, Services and then stop and start a non-essential service to see if your user account has admin rights?

Let's try the following fresh install:

1- From Control Panel, uninstall MBAE completely.

2- Reboot

3- Delete C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

4- Download the latest MBAE fresh from our website and install it again. Pay attention to any prompts from other security software.

If the install doesn't work now, open each of your security apps and check its logs for any hints of blocking the MBAE installation. Also please re-send the MBAE files from the logs directory and the mbae-uninstaller.log.

I did the admin rights check you suggested and it worked fine.  My user account is listed as an admin account in the control panel.

I did the fresh install and the results look the same as far as I can tell.  During the install, it put up the message about extracting files, blue progress line went all the way across very quickly, then it almost immediately put up the reboot to finish installation message.  If there is supposed to be a message after the extracting about installing, that did not happen.  I had all programs closed (i.e. nothing on the start bar except the installer).  No messages or prompts were displayed from any other program incl. any security program.

I looked through AVG and Spybot and couldn't find anything about mbae. 

I have no idea what the problem is!  I've never had so much trouble trying to install a program.

mbae-uninstall.log

mbae.zip

A little more info:

I installed mbae on another XP computer that I own and it installed there and runs just fine.

During that installation there was definitely more time between the blue progress bar going all the way across after putting up the extracting files message and the reboot message.  It was still fast, but it was almost immediate on the computer I'm having trouble with.

Both computers use the same security software.

• Staff

If you get a "reboot to complete install" message it means that for some reason it couldn't write the files to disk and it marked them to rename upon reboot.

Try the following:

1- Reboot first. Does MBAE run correctly now?

2- Uninstall MBAE

3- Delete C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

4- Open the registry (Start, run, type "regedt32" and hit enter). Browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If there is an entry for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, delete it.

4- Reboot again

5- Download the latest MBAE and install it again.

Does it still get stuck starting?

I had rebooted a couple of times since the last install with the same result.

So I uninstalled it using the control panel and deleted the documents and settings folder.  The program folder was already gone from the uninstall.

Registry did not contain that entry.

Rebooted, turned off many user processes that run automatically, suspended AVG and reinstalled.  This time there was a several second lag after the blue bar going all the way across and a reboot message (so I was very hopeful!).

Rebooted and no mbae icon at right end of start bar.  Looked in process manager and no mbae.  Started it manually and got the same error message.  Uninstall file and log files look the same to me.

Everything is allowed for administrators, system, the user account I log into, creator owner.  They are listed as having full control.  Authenticated users, power users, and 'users' have only some things checked, but nothing checked as denied.

Attributes for the folder shows a grayed checkmark.

BTW, one difference I do know of between my main computer that I'm having the problem with and my other XP computer that MBAE installed and runs fine on is that the one I'm having trouble with is an HP computer - the other is not.  The HP computer is a business class computer and runs the HP Protect Tools security suite..  Do you know of any conflict with that?

I don't see any logs.  I've looked all through it to see if there is anything about limiting installs and such and don't see anything like that either.

The last time I tried the install, I booted, stopped all services that I dared to, verified that none of the HP services were running (incl Protect Tools), suspended AVG, closed anything I could find related to security and then did the install.  The blue line went all the way over, then it sat for several seconds, then requested a reboot which I did.  MBAE appeared the same after the reboot - had to start manually and then it quit on its own after a few minutes.

• Staff

This is very weird. Let's try to get a listing of files in C:\Program Files after installation:

1- Uninstall MBAE

2- Reboot

4- Reboot again

5- Download the latest MBAE and install it again. Wait for the "reboot" message to appear.

6- Open a command-prompt (start, run, type "cmd" and hit enter). Type "cd C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" and hit enter. Type "dir >list.txt" and hit enter.

7- Post here the contents of list.txt.

Thanks!

Here are the DDs files.

dds.zip

The Microsoft package you point to is for 64 bit systems and mine is a 32 bit.  I looked around for one that I thought might work and found http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5555.  It refused to install saying that I had later software on the system.

I do have Visual Studio 6.0 on this computer.  Could that be causing a problem?

Sorry to cause so much trouble!

• Staff

Thanks for the logs and for hanging in there JSHill.

From the logs it seems that you might have some disk errors that may have corrupted one or a few of the files (seems that other applications might be affected as well, not only MBAE). Some examples:

6/25/2014 3:23:30 PM, error: Disk [11]  - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.6/20/2014 9:51:57 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7022]  - The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Service service hung on starting.6/20/2014 11:53:28 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7006]  - The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error:  Access is denied.6/20/2014 10:31:30 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000]  - The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service failed to start due to the following error:  A device attached to the system is not functioning.6/18/2014 8:20:30 AM, error: sr [1]  - The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'.  It has stopped monitoring the volume.

Please run a defrag and/or scandisk on your drive to fix errors, then re-install MBAE from scratch.

OK, now this is really strange.  I ran chkdsk and it fixed a few indexes.  Then I did a defrag.  Then deinstalled mbae.  Rebooted.  Installed mbae.  Rebooted as requested by mbae install.  Computer did not come up with mbae started automatically.  So I started it manually by clicking it's shortcut.  Same result as before.  After a few minutes it put up a message about can't run and stopping.  Then I brought up a command prompt and entered an install command and............it started!  It put an icon at the right end of my start bar and I was able to bring up the program's window.  Here is what it did:

post-167185-0-03066100-1403802310_thumb.

Any ideas on why the shortcut start didn't work or if it will in the future?  Here is the log:

mbae-default.log

• Staff

Glad you got it working and thanks for the confirmation :lol:

After fixing the disk errors the service was probably able to access one of the files it needed which seemed to be corrupt on disk.

PS: the shortcut will work after the first reboot. We'll fix this in the upcoming version so it works right after install as well.